Wednesday, October 20, 2010

cancer

never had a name
for me
until half hidden
it beckoned forth
crooked its finger
and pulled at me
no one
in a faceless crowd

nameless
but not forever
my companions
took form

Betty ... Carol ... Sue ... Bob ...
Julie ... Ginny ... Marilyn ...
Ed ... Fran ... Dana ... Kathy

not cancer
nor cancer victims
not survivors
only people

walking to work
smiling across the cash register
frowning at the long wait
grumbling about the bill
laughing at a joke
wincing at a sudden pain
crying in the night
hugging love and life
tightly

people
cut across the quick
eyes widening
black brown yellow white
short tall skinny fat
old young smooth wrinkled

people
sharing
the unimaginable
in the unthinkable
now

1 comment:

Cathy said...

So many of my friends are gone because of cancer and I can so relate to this poem. I am also so glad to have many friends and co-workers who have triumphed over cancer as I have and we are grateful. I like this poem.

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007