Friday, February 12, 2010

The Storm Before the Calm

Why won't you call me
I didn't mean to tell you
I have cancer
it was an acciden

it just fell out
when we were discussing
the weather
between cloudy and a chance of rain
there it was

you looked at it
like something
the neighbor's dog left
on the sidewalk
you just missed it
whoops
that was close
and then you were
gone


Where is the warning light
like on my dash
watch out!
your radiator needs
water
careful!
the oil is low
oops!
the trunk is open
hey!
you've got cancer


I told my grandkids
you know
bc before cancer
I'm going to live
forever
three pairs of eyes widen

my daughter is moving
what will she take with her

the wheels begin to turn
Aaron tries for sensitivity
when you um, move on
will you leave me the car?
Jenny's face lights up
can I have the rest
of the cookies
Jessy is silent
I ask
and what would you like
Hmmm the house

I pause
okay, Aaron, you get the car
Jenny you can have the cookies
and Jessy gets the house
Jenny frowns
Katlyn interjects
the house? she gets the house?

but
they look at me
expectantly
I'm living forever
eyes round
brows wrinkle
so
can I have the cookies
now?

one glass of milk
five sets of fingers
until
there is one empty box
of cookies
life is
good

No comments:

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007