Thursday, May 21, 2015

So it's 9:30 on a Sunday night. I live in a 30+ year old middle income community, aging fairly well. There's a knock at the door. I open the door and see a young man standing in my doorway, holding a pack of papers with a list of magazines that he is selling. I step outside, "What's up?" He steps closer and points to the papers, "Would you like to buy a magazine?" He steps into his spiel. I wait, and then note, "Well, it's kind of late." He explains, "I'm trying to pull myself up in the company, working extra hours, getting more sales. I want to be like you". I say, "old"? He smiles, "No, I want to be well off. "You're not old till you're cold." I smile back. "Will you bill me?" His smile drops an inch, "No, cash only" he pauses and his voice drops, "or donations". He's fairly well dressed, not drugged up. I put my hands in my pockets, two days before social security hits ... "All I have is $2.00," I give it to him. He sighs, "thanks". I give him a hug, and he hugs me back, "hey good luck." He turns, "Thanks Ma'am." He walks away, I shut the door. My husband walks up behind me, "Who was that?" "Someone who needed help." "Did you give him anything?" "Of course." "Good."

No comments:

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007