Tuesday, July 16, 2019

So I'm going to back up for a moment to give a perspective to my recent posts.  (Not garnering sympathy … I'm happy to still be here)

In 2005 I lost the vision in my right eye to repetitive detached retinas.
In 2010 I spent a year in treatment for Breast Cancer losing most of my left breast.
In 2015 I smashed my left elbow requiring extensive reconstruction.
In 2019 I had a mini stroke numbing my whole left side.

So, now I'm half blind, and have totally abused my left side.

I said that so I can say this.  I'm so thankful that I can still see, I am alive, I can use my left arm and I can walk and smile and garden with both my left and right sides.  And I am still writing.

Today I played in the dirt at 7:30 am.  It was only 92 degrees.  I'm not out there long … 100 degrees comes up pretty fast in July, but I transplanted a mulberry tree that popped up next to the house.  I moved it over to the side of the driveway next to the Chaste Tree.  I love trees.  I planted three small bushes in the shade of my Arizona Ash in the front yard, I pulled three weeds, I propped the chair rail up against the side of the house so I will remember to paint it, soon, and put it back in the living and dining rooms.  It's now 10 am and 101 degrees so I'm done outside for the day.

My plan is to rest then go to the mall and walk my 1.5 miles.  I have a birthday party to attend tonight and a screenplay to finish.  The USB for my wireless mouse and keyboard has disappeared so I can't use my downstairs computer right now, so I drug out the old Apple laptop Susie gave me and I'm using that.  The battery won't hold a charge and it's bulky and heavy but it's portable and easy to use, so I'm loving it!

With my generous watering system in the morning (hose and drips) I now have butterflies and a mocking bird living in my back yard.

Mockingbird sing
whistle a song
crooning and calling
dawn to dawn

skipping down rooftops
and skirting the trees
crooking your head
sipping with bees

you watch from the wall
as the dogs madly rush
then skip quickly away
as they jump and they thrust

soft muzzles sharp teeth
that never can find
your tail feathers flow
and they're left behind

mockingbird mockingbird
stay for a while
and sing through the leaves
that shiver through my smiles

No comments:

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007