Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Blog of the Day --- For Neva

Thanks for the topic, Neva. I agree, personal meanderings are good. They stretch me too, take me out of my comfort zone. I feel uncomfortable about being personal, as if people will see too much of who I am; that my poetry will reveal more of who I am than what I am prepared to reveal. I think my fears are residue from just being a kid.

Often, when I was young I didn't understand my parents anger. I always assumed it was about me, so I thought it was my responsibility to fix. Because I didn't know what I had done, I concluded that there was some mysterious thing wrong with me that made them unhappy. It has taken years of effort to hide the unknowable. So now, ancient baggage reigns, and I'm afraid that my writing will make me too transparent and that others will see the 'whatever' that is still wrong with me; that I still cannot see.

So I need to confront my fears and write anyway. After all, in the light of day they are not very realistic.

Thanks Neva!

No comments:

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007