Thursday, July 14, 2005

Blog of the Day -- July 12, 2005

OMG it's HOT!!! Up to 115 today. Even for Las Vegas it's hot. I want to climb into an ice cube and wait until October (pant pant pant). I obsessively carry water around with me everywhere. I flood my little veggies every morning and jealously measure the progress of little watermelons, corn, cantelopes, green beans, zuccinis, green peppers and tomatoes. We've hit the swimming pool twice this week so far, and it's been great!

I was surfing the net and found a quote that intrigued me from ComeReason.org. It is, "I appreciate the concern you have in making sure that Christianity isn't unduly corrupted by pagan influences." It occured to me that the opposite might be true, that pagans might be concerned about the Christian influence that has changed their pagan holidays. Think about it. You're a pagan, Constantine enters Rome and decides that everyone will now be a Christian. In order to make it more palatable he takes the current dieties and religious observances and converts them to Christian holidays. A new diety with all of the old familiar trappings. You probably would have been furious. It explains why God insisted that all of the pagan tribes that the Hebrews found in the Promised Land be wiped out ... no converting old holidays into new ones, with any hint of old theology still intact ... just start new.

Isn't there a quote in the bible where God will change the corruptible into the incorruptable? Yep, there is, I think in the book of Revelation, in the future, may be not so distant future.

6 comments:

cakeboom said...

I always thought it interesting how Easter is planned every year. This is pretty much the big holiday in Catholicism, and it is planned around such pagan themes - the vernal equinox and the moon cycles. Ha ha ha!!

Thank you for coming to visit Clobber!!

Allan C. said...

Hi. Thanks for your visit at my blog (acpscheidt.blogspot.com). My english is bad, but i just say thank you... I'm Allan, wiccan, from Brazil (more in my profile...). Bye

Gauravbrills said...

Hi thnks fr visiting my blog..
so this article explores the case where its said that the easter egg bears both pagan and christian origins.........

Neva F. Darbe said...

Interesting quote, I'll have to visit that website and see what is there. How are things going with you?

Kerry M. Conway said...

hi! i followed your link here from neva's comment section.

i hope thing cool down out there for you soon!

nice poem too!

Kerry M. Conway said...

i have just linked your blog to mine. *smiles*

also, i am currently working on setting up my new writers.com account =)

thanks for all of the comments! i'll be back soon!

~kerry

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007