Friday, July 22, 2005

The Liquorish River

I'm going to be posting some stuff that I wrote some time ago. This is one of those.

The liquorish river beckoned me,
promising all that could never be
by standing on the shore so tame
by waiting there in slow refrain for evil or for good

it called inviting all who may
to come and enter don't delay
to come and view its depths unbound
to come to try the muted sounds that called within its depths

I stood a moment caught in time
that call so furtive and divine
that seemed to be life's final kiss
that seemed to promise endless bliss if only entered I

Swiftly now it whispered sweet
displaying it's unending treats
one tiny taste of slow delights
one tiny sip of night to night
might cause my feet to fail

A moment only there I stood
a moment only safely shod
but close, too close the shore did break to clasp me to that endless lake
to clasp my hand fast to that friend whose grip would never ever end

But life is strong in it's own song
and held my heart in love's sure bond
and pulled me back from endless depths and pulled me from that soulless threat that called so many there

The licorish river beckons still
when nights are long and hurts are full
come dance with me for just a while
come dance and cross that final stile
but life is stronger still

— Joanne Nakaya © 2002

4 comments:

Jim said...

Jo Anne,
dont no wat u talking about
but i see pain, and

if u need a friend
u gott one

Kerry M. Conway said...

*smiles*

the liqourish river beckons me too. *sighs* but life would be boring without her calls of endearment.

great poem! keep up the excellent writing!

The Writers Blog -- Joanne Nakaya said...

Thanks Kerry, I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks Saby. I can never have too many friends. It's nice to have another one, in India.

Kerry M. Conway said...

i love saby! he is my diamond in the rough! *smiles*

October in Vermont 2007

October in Vermont 2007